Sunday, September 16, 2012

Back to school


16/09/2012

Well I have officially started attending classes. It was a nightmare trying to find out where I was supposed to be for each class and consequently I missed my first few lectures.

Inside the college is very modern and very clean. The main stairs located at the lobby by the main door are impressive with a large modern painting adorning the wall half way up the stairway. It gives one a feeling of culture and refinement but without the stuffiness and self aggrandizement projected by some other Universities.







You may all remember that Spanish students come to Ireland every summer to improve their English; most of them are only children. We have seen them huddle together sitting on grass verges or indeed blocking the pathways. Well imagine those children about five years older. I have sat in a room with about fifty of them and felt very old indeed. I found that when I took my seat they gave me a wide berth and I stuck out like a sore thumb. Hopefully things will improve. Maybe when they realise I am a native English speaker some of them may be disposed to talking to me to practise their English. Thankfully, in the Spanish Literature class I am not the only mature student: there is Mairead, the girl from Maynooth, there is another girl who I guess is in her late thirties or early forties and some Spanish guy who looks to be in his late sixties.  So I am not the only one feeling a bit odd and out of place.

For anyone who is interested, the subjects I have chosen for my first semester are the following; Spanish Literature, texts and contexts, Hispano-American Literature, texts and contexts, Spanish Linguistics, An Introduction to English Literature, An Introduction to the Culture of the Anglo sphere. I was unable to choose Latin as it clashed with two of the Spanish subjects and I need a minimum amount of credits in Spanish to complete the year to Maynooth’s satisfaction. Here is a copy of my timetable which I have cobbled together from all the disparate information that is floating around on the University website. As you can see it is handy enough for me on a Monday should anyone be over to visit me for the weekend.



It will, of course, be wrong and I will have to change it when I end up in the wrong class. At least I have something to work with at the moment. It also changes every second week so the class locations listed on this timetable will not necessarily be the class locations for next week. So far I have attended the two English classes and the Spanish Literature class. I was late for the first English class because I was at room 11 and waiting for everyone else to turn up but when nobody arrived I went looking for the information desk. They explained to me there that I should be in room -11, menos once, which is actually downstairs in the basement. Such fun. The English classes will be conducted in English and students are expected to hand in work in English only. The Spanish class was delivered by a guy who spoke in a low monotone and I was sitting near the back of the class, therefore it was a strain to hear him, never mind understand him. I shall have to sit up near the front next time and try to work out what is actually going on. I have missed the Hispano-American lectures so far as we had to attend an Erasmus student meeting to welcome us to the college. I am still awaiting my username and password so that I can log on to the virtual campus and find all the information I need. Hopefully that will happen this coming week. I won’t hold my breath.

Other news, Moises has promised to go to the County Council with me tomorrow to show them his DNI card so that I can get my empadronamiento card. ´What is this card of which you speak?´, I hear you say. Well, every municipality in Spain holds a record of local residents: the Padron. This is held at the town hall (Ayuntamiento). I suppose the Irish equivalent would be the electoral role or something like that. If you are planning to live here and have children, it gives you the right to enrol them in the local schools (if places are limited registered children will get preference). It also allows you to take advantage of local leisure facilities with discounted fees at the municipal sports centre. It is often necessary when looking for work via the equivalent of FAS or the dole. I have been speaking with my brother, Gary, who has been living in Valencia for the last five years and he told me that he hasn´t bothered applying for his ´patron´ yet; he just couldn´t be bothered. Now there is a man who integrated into this country. For me getting that card is the last step in completing all the paperwork and it is a matter of principle at this stage; I just want to get it sorted so that I won´t have been beaten by the pen pushers.

He also sent me the following link which you guys should have a look at. It takes a light-hearted look at Spanish bureaucracy and it is good to see the ´system´being beaten for a change.





Hasta pronto amigos.

1 comment:

  1. You'll use any excuse to sit up the front of the class and play the teacher's pet!

    S.

    ReplyDelete